Installing Windows 2000
1 Collins Road
Tel: 08700 667 999 Fax: 08700 667 888
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Website :http://www.mobile-support.net
This booklet has been designed to help the novice user to set up their Rock Xtreme notebook computer with Windows 2000. Some knowledge of computers is required to follow through this booklet. If you experience any difficulties when setting up the software, contact Mobile Support Customer Services.
Please ensure all extra devices (PC cards, Modems, Network cards, external mice etc.) are removed before starting this installation.
If you have any queries regarding any part of this installation, please do not hesitate to contact the Mobile support technical support department
Please have the following disks and CD's to hand, as theses will be required during the process of installing Windows to your hard drive.
- Notebook Driver CD.
- Windows 2000 CD
- Any other driver CD that may be required
This Installation process may take up to 2 hours to install depending on the speed of your machine. Please backup any files required, as the hard drive is going to be completely wiped clean.
WARNING: ALL DATA ON HARD DISK DRIVE WILL BE DELETED
These instructions assume a completely blank Hard Disk.
Follow. To completely remove the partition from the hard drive. Windows 2000 will give the options to do this. See Below.
- Switch The Xtreme and, when prompted, press F2 to enter bios set-up
- Select Start-up and then select Boot. Enable 1st boot CD-ROM Drive 2nd boot Diskette A and 3rd boot Hard Disk C. Change the values by highlight and using the -+ keys.
- Select OK, and then Exit then Save Changes and Exit, and OK to confirm
- Insert Windows 2000 CD and press any key to continue the installation. Wait for windows 2000 whilst set-up loads some files and prepare the drive for windows 2000 installation.
- Press enter to set-up windows 2000 when prompted
- Windows Wizard will now set-up Windows 2000
- Read the license agreement and, press F8 "I accept the agreement"
- Press [D] to delete the partition that active. Confirm by pressing enter on the next screen followed by [L] Key to finalise. After the partition is deleted the total disk space available will be showed in MB "Megabytes". Press Enter to install using un-partitioned space
- Format the partition using the NTFS file system and press enter
- Please wait while set-up formats the partition, this may take a while depending on the hard drive size.
- . Set-up will examine your drive and copy files, this may take several minutes to complete and copy some files to hard disk.
- After files are copied restart the notebook and boot from CD drive again. Once set-up has finished loading files. Install windows on the available partition.
- Click next to continue set-up. To use the exsisting windows folder press [L] Key, this will overwrite any previous windows on the hard disk. Wait for the files to be copied and saved to the hard disk.
- Restart computer after the installation. Do not boot from the CDROM drive windows will automatically boot from the hard drive.
- Click next to detect and install devices such as the keyboard and mouse, the may flicker a few times this is normal.
- Type in name and organisation if relevant
- Carefully enter the Product ID number found on your certificate of Authenticity, which is found on the windows pack. It may also be found on the cellophane wrapped around the pack.
- Click next on next screen administrator password. If you are requiring a password please keep this password in a safe place as there is no way cracking it.
- Change the date time and time zone once finished click next
- Wait for network setting to install software and components and wait for final set of tasks this may take a few moments and click finish after the installation is complete.
- Windows will restart automatically. Remember to boot from the hard drive and not the CD-Drive now.
- Click next if you wish not to connect an network and finish
- Congratulations, you have now installed Windows 2000. All that is left is to install is the video drivers and modem, network card drivers - instructions are included overleaf
Installation of Video drivers on Xtreme under Windows 2000
- Boot into windows, you may find it difficult to view the screen
- Double click on my computer and double click the CDROM drive
- Select the drivers folder and then select the operating system driver you require
- Double click the set-up icon represented by a computer monitor
- Click next and do a typical installation
- Click next and next, wait for files to be copied
- Restart the machine and check that there are utility manager in display properties from windows desktop
- Right Click on the desktop and select properties
- Click the Settings tab from the menu above and change the screen area
and colours to Size: 1400 x 1050 Colours: High Colour (32 Bit)
- Click the advance tab, utility manager should at the top
- Apply theses setting by clicking on apply and then OK
Installation of Sound Drivers on Xtreme Under Windows 2000
- Insert the drivers CD supplied with the computer.
- Double click CD-ROM Drive form my computer
- Select the drivers folder and Audio folder
- Double click the set-up file and follow instructions prompted on the screen
- Restart the machine and test the audio by inserting a music CD.
- Using FN key and F5-F6 you may increase and decrease the volume.
The Sound drivers are now installed - to test reboot the computer and you should hear a jingle as Windows restarts
Installation of the PCI card (modem) on Xtreme for Windows 2000
- Insert the drivers CD supplied with the computer.
- Right click on My Computer click properties and then hardware then Click Device Manager
- Select PCI Card, this device is listing under Other Devices
- Click the reinstall driver tab and click next
- Search for better drivers as recommended, place a tick in CDROM and Specify location, type D:\drivers\modem\win2000 and click ok and next to continue with installation. Restart the machine for the drivers to take effect.
Installation of the DVD software on the Xtreme for Windows 2000
- Insert the DVD software CD into the drive
- Wait for the Auto run
- Click the Install InterVideo WinDVD 2000 tab
- Click the install now tab and wait for the set-up to start
- Click the next tab, agree with the licence agreement and click yes
- Type the name of the computer usually Sigma SI and the serial number from the envelope for the CD and click next.
- Click the next tab, select the typical installation, click next and wait for the files to be copied and click finish.
- Install the direct x version 7 from the CD when prompted then click ok to restart the machine.